Reporting to: Director – Operations, Oxfam India
Oxfam India is a result of the merger of the different Oxfam’s that have been operating in India for the last fifty years as separate entities: Oxfam Trust, Oxfam GB, Oxfam Novib, Oxfam Australia, Oxfam Hong Kong and Intermon Oxfam (Spain).
It undertakes all the activities of an Oxfam affiliate: international and national rights-based programming, international and national advocacy and campaigning, humanitarian response and fundraising. As a national member of an international confederation, it plays a strategic role in campaigns and advocacy, both domestically and internationally. It is expected that Oxfam India will become a full member of Oxfam International (OI), subject to fulfilment of membership criteria, after the organisational integration process is successfully completed.
Oxfam India will be expected to significantly contribute towards objectives defined in the new OI Strategic Plan (2007-2012). The Strategic Plan covers 4 main areas: economic justice (sustainable rural livelihoods through work on agriculture, trade and climate change); essential services (with a focus on health and education); rights in crisis (includes humanitarian work) and gender justice (women’s leadership and ending violence against women).
It is envisioned that Oxfam India will be capable of raising significant resources from India. Combined resources based on current funding and anticipated income growth from national fundraising will be in the order of USD20m by 2010, of which at least 25% will be from the Indian public.
The Human resources and Administration Manager will have overall responsibility for overseeing and managing all HR, Information Systems/Technology, Administration, Legal and Infrastructure activities across Oxfam India’s offices.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide advice and support to managers across the country on all aspects of employment practice, ensuring that employment legislation and best practice are followed.
- Provide support on appropriate workforce planning to support program objectives and delivery. Manage and oversee large scale change management process ensuring adherence with local legal requirements and organisational policies.
- Contribute to the operational planning and implementation of HR and organisation development initiatives to ensure roll out in an appropriate manner within India.
- Develop and maintain staff handbook covering policies and procedures. Provide advice on the interpretation and implementation of the full range of Oxfam India’s HR policies and procedures.
- Lead on and manage key HR business processes, e.g. pay reviews, performance reviews, HR records and data systems.
- Line manage HR, IT and Admin team in Delhi and coach and mentor teams in other locations across Oxfam India.
- Contribute to the organisation’s ability to respond to Humanitarian situations by leading on all HR preparedness activities and developing Humanitarian skills of relevant staff.
- Develop and maintain information management policies and ensure systems/technology meet Oxfam India’s business requirements.
- Work closely with the Director Operations to ensure all legal and ethical compliances are in place, e.g. FCRA.
- Minimum of 8 yrs experience and significant HR experience in a dynamic and evolving organisation.
- Knowledge and experience of HR practices and employment legislation within India.
- Knowledge and experience of information management systems and policies related to HR, administrative and infrastructure processes.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate both verbally and in writing, coupled with the professional credibility required to influence and motivate others.
- Ability to deal with difficult situations and use judgement to solve problems.
- Exposure to change management and development of HR systems and processes within that
- Professional qualification in HR.
- Interest in development issues and previous experience of working with NGOs/development sector.
Contact: Third Sector Partners, a leading CxO and board search firm in the Not for Profit sector has been retained by OXFAM India . Interested candidates can send in their CVs along with three references and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or Contact us at: +91 22 6660 3558/6660 3559.
Only short listed candidates would be contacted. The last date of receiving applications is 10th April 2009.
Forget yourself for others, and others will never forget you.