TCI Foundation is the social arm of Transport Corporation of India Limited (TCIL). TCIL is a pioneer in the sphere of goods transit in India and is India's leading multi-modal integrated supply chain solutions provider.
As part of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s India AIDS Initiative, Avahan, the TCI Foundation is implementing Project Kavach, a $12.26 million project initiated in January 2004, to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS among long distance truckers in India. The project is presently operational at 19 large intervention locations across India.
Rationale of the Project
The unique challenges posed by the plethora of trucker-focused interventions in the country, the mobile nature of the population and the fragmented structure of the Indian transport industry explain why trucker interventions in India need a unique approach. TCI Foundation is attempting to address these issues by creatively deploying conventional business tools such as innovative communication and promotions to engage the trucker community, branding and merchandising to build a unique, highly recognizable programme identity and standardizing and scaling up service delivery across a network of major transshipment locations akin to the franchise business model. In order to achieve scale and visibility the programme plans to engage major corporates in the transport and related industries, as well as key stakeholders in the industry.
This programme employs a strong system of measurable indicators supplemented with regular survey-based mechanisms to monitor progress on major outcomes as well as a comprehensive evaluation plan to assess impact. A 17-member team operating out of Gurgaon (National HQ), Nagpur (Regional unit) and Bangalore (Regional unit) manages the project. The team is equipped with diverse skill sets including STI Management, Communication, M&E and Program Management.
In addition, the program has played a pivotal role in supporting the National AIDS Control Organization (NACO) in their efforts to design and implement a large scale National Program for HIV prevention among truckers under National AIDS Control Program (NACP) III. TCI Foundation’s engagement with NACO is focused on ensuring a seamless transfer of the project’s learning, systems and tools to the National Trucker Program as and when it rolls out.
NACO, as part of its NACP III, has prioritized HIV prevention among truckers as a key programme component and intends to launch the trucker program as a single national-level project to target long-distance truckers. NACO proposes to set up a National Trucker Consortium to design, manage and monitor national trucker interventions to halt the spread of HIV among the truckers. TCI Foundation, in partnership with All India Motor Transport Congress (AIMTC), has been selected by NACO to manage the National Consortium. Over the next couple of months, the team managing Kavach & Truckers TSG project will be around 40 - 45people.
Reason for Hire
TCI - Foundation is looking to hire Program Officer Positions at multiple locations (Mumbai, Bangalore & Chennai); who will be responsible for providing strategic support to implementing partners like SACS & NGOs in the areas of project planning, implementation & monitoring/impact measurement.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist SACS & NGO partners in planning and quality monitoring of the program.
- Co-ordinate and provide guidance to the implementing partners in her/his region.
- Responsible for quality monitoring and ensure timely recruitment of staff in respective intervention areas.
- Identifying the capacity building needs or any other specific intervention needs along with their Regional Managers.
- Facilitate field level interventions and provide assistance and timely guidance to NGO partners including training/studies conducted at the intervention areas.
- Monitoring and supportive supervision of NGO partners.
- Liaison with various stakeholders/ Government Agencies etc.
- Ensure timely data compilation/ narrative reports of all interventions.
- Social Mobilization at various levels.
- Post Graduate degree in Social Science/Public Health/Social Work; with 5-8 years of relevant experience of working on HIV/AIDS prevention programmes/projects.
- Experience in providing technical support in project planning, implementation & monitoring (project based milestones); to partners like SACS, NGOs and other implementing agencies.
- Excellent relationship management skills; with experience of working with government agencies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English & Hindi.
- Problem solving and decision making skills.
- Prepared to travel frequently in the region.
Location: Multiple - Mumbai, Bangalore & Chennai
Third Sector Partners, a leading CxO and board search firm in the Not for Profit sector has been retained by TCI Foundation. Interested candidates can send in their CVs along with three references and a covernote to firstname.lastname@example.org or Contact us at: +91 22 6660 3558/6660 3559. The last date for submitting applications is 27th May 2009.
Forget yourself for others, and others will never forget you.