Remember ME - You Me and Dementia

Sunday, November 23, 2008

I have a dream of a fully educated and knowledge empowered India

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday said it had become possible for him to realise his personal dreams because of the opportunities the nation had given him and said his 'greatest ambition' was to see a fully-educated and knowledge-empowered India.

'My dreams for myself have been realised in my lifetime because my country made me,' Manmohan Singh said as he launched the two-day he Hindustan Times Leadership Summit at the Taj Palace Hotel here, recalling his journey from a 'village without hope' (Manmohan was born in the village of Gah, now in Punjab in Pakistan) to Oxford and to the office of India's prime minister.

'I stand before you today because the light of knowledge has empowered me. I cannot think of any other reason. Like millions of Indians, I come from a family of modest means. I lived in a dusty village with no doctor, no school, no electricity,' he said.

'It was the burning desire to learn, to be educated, that has brought me here to these glittering halls from that village without hope. It was scholarship and fair selection that educated me. It was a free society and a land of opportunity that employed me,' he said, adding he wanted the same dream getting realised for every Indian.

'My greatest ambition for the coming century is to see a fully educated India,'
he said, while also exuding confidence that 'India will not only be the land of a free people, but of a knowledge-empowered people.

'I have this dream for my people because that was my dream as a young boy in a distant village,' the prime minister said to a packed hall that consisted of govermment and industry leaders, diplomats, public officials, intellectuals and mediapersons and the cream of the city.

Source: http://www.indiaenews.com/business/20081121/159662.htm

Forget yourself for others, and others will never forget you.

No comments: