The Population Foundation of India (PFI, formerly known as Family Planning Foundation) was established in l970 by a dedicated group of industrialists and population activists led by Bharat Ratna the late Mr JRD Tata who guided it as the founder Board Chairman until his death in l993.
The Foundation has been at the forefront of the Non Governmental efforts towards rights based, gender sensitive approach towards population stabilization and human development. Social development including population stabilization in India should not and cannot remain the sole concern of the Government, it ought to be supported and supplemented by private voluntary enterprises. In this regard, the Foundation has always worked in close co-operation and co-ordination with official agencies and programs, both at the Center and in the States. In its independent role, it has tried to guide and influence the National Population Policy and to serve as a catalytic agent to promote programs at different levels directed towards the ultimate goal of population stabilization. The Foundation supports innovative research, experimentation and social action to further the cause of population stabilization and provide a forum for pooling of experiences and sharing of professional expertise to strengthen and enlarge the operational base of the family planning and reproductive health program.
Current Thrust Areas
· To extend full support and provide guidance in formulating and influencing population policies and programs and to serve as a catalytic agent to promote programs at different levels directed towards the goal of population stabilization and development.
· To improve the quality of life of the people through RCH programs with special emphasis on unmet need for contraception , women's health and their reproductive rights, and gender issues, reduction of Neonatal mortality , infant mortality, maternal morbidity and mortality, adolescents' health needs, HIV/AIDS prevention and care.
· To strengthen non-government organizations, community based organizations, self help groups, Panchayati raj Institutions and the organized sector on population, health and social development issues with the goal of empowering the community as a whole.
· To advocate its programs at all levels to promote quality of life and sustainable development.
Reason for Hire:
The current Executive Director is completing his second term with PFI shortly and will be retiring from the organization after a long and highly successful tenure.
Against this backdrop, Population Foundation of India seeks a visionary and strategic leader as Executive Director to lead and develop a bold and innovative strategy for the organization, to lead in thought and action and influence public policies and opinion on issues of population with specific focus on gender, health, social justice and rights, to ensure growth and development of fundraising through donor and local supporter base and to contribute to the development and impact of the Population Foundation of India’s work and to lead a multidisciplinary team and create an empowering work culture.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- To function as the reference point for the organisation on behalf of the Governing Board and exercising the executive authority of the Board.
- To be responsible for the planning, organising, directing, controlling and monitoring of PFI’s operations & implementation of all PFI’s budgeted activities.
- Coordinate the work with the Senior Management Team (SMT) towards achievement of the organisational vision and mission.
- To promote and communicate about the programs & activities of PFI.
- Making policy and strategic recommendations to the Governing Board.
- Provide strategic leadership to the organisation and managing the personnel of all PFI units.
- Managing and enriching all external relationships with the governmental and other non-governmental agencies including development partners, corporate, as well as national and international donor agencies.
- Enhance and manage the brand image of the organisation through increasing credibility, accountability and transparency.
- Work closely with the organization’s Governing Board to strategize on the growth and diversification of the organisation.
- Conceptualization of the broad areas of activities to be undertaken in the light of the Strategic Plan & emerging needs.
- Set long term goals for the organisation and then yearly objective that would be percolated down the organisational hierarchy and obtain feedback on achievement of objective, budgets and targets.
- Review and upgrading of HRD Systems & Policies for approval of the Board.
- Evaluation and management of Financial & Management Systems.
- To work closely with the Board on a continuous basis in terms of all of PFI’s programs and seek there assistance and approval for the same.
- Apprising the Board at the meeting and otherwise on important developments and findings relevant to all operations of PFI.
- To present the Status Report every quarter to the Governing Board.
Increase And Diversify Resource Base
- Secure diversified and flexible resource base by raising appropriate kinds and mix of funds from official donors, governmental or private sources from within the country or internationally, through direct initiatives of the country programme.
Maintain Effective Relations, Networks and Alliances
- Represent PFI in a variety of forums and maintain external relationships within a diverse range of stakeholders in the sector including national government, key national and international NGOs, donors, academic, social movements, CBOs, media and other relevant institutions.
Ensure PFI's Accountability Systems
- Ensure that all processes and products (appraisal, yearly planning, programme strategy, reports etc.) are delivered in time and in quality
- Ensure effective systems and processes of monitoring, review, reflection and impact assessment
- Ensure that funds are used efficiently, ethically, effectively and economically in line with the standards, policies and procedures (including accounting and auditing requirements) in accordance with the legal framework.
Develop Effective Teams And Empowering Culture, Environment And Systems
- Develop and strengthen empowered team of staff – particularly senior staff team in direct line management- in the organisation.
- Provide leadership and management guidance to overall staff in the organisation.
- Ensure that that the work environment is healthy, motivating, empowering and synergistic.
Miscellaneous (Partnerships, Funding and Brand Image)
- Ensure PFI’s processes to deliver optimal utilisation of its resources, striving to increase efficiency by identifying and implementing innovations under cost efficiency/value for money.
- Utilise partnerships to raise public awareness for promoting advocacy, networking and public policy.
- Develop PFI’s brand and capacity to deliver as a resource organisation. Enhance the resource base to provide stability and long term sustainability to the organisation.
- To evaluate viability, sustainability and cost benefit of various proposals submitted by the field, and vet it with the Senior Management Team, before putting it to the Board.
· Relevant postgraduate degree in Public Health, Medical Sciences, Social sciences, Management or relevant disciplines.
· Overall 15 years of experience in development work with at least 5 years in a leadership role in a complex organisation.
- Broad knowledge and experience in policy development and implementation, project management, organization development, financial management, resource management and people management in a dynamic organization.
· Experience of leading/working on policy advocacy and campaigns (especially population issues).
- Experience and a successful track record in resource mobilization/grants management.
- Must have experience of interacting and working with grass root community based non-government organizations (NGOs) as well as national and international agencies working in the field of health, population and social development.
- Outstanding interpersonal and coaching skills, including above average oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization as well as external stakeholders.
- Be well-conversant with data on population and development, and their utilization.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with the Governing Board and Advisory Council to serve as a successful participant on the executive management team that provides company leadership and direction.
- Strong problem-solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
- Willing to work on a flexible schedule with possibility of travel to provide on-site leadership.
- Demonstrates integrity and leadership skills consistent with PFI’s mission and leadership philosophy, strives for excellence and has experience in leading others to new levels of effectiveness and impact.
- Exceptionally comfortable with the use of technology in the workplace and possessing excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment, including a good knowledge of Microsoft Office and other mainstream Windows-based computer applications.
- Confident, proactive, and having excellent organizational skills.
Age Profile and Nature of Contract:
Applicants aged 55 or less would be eligible to apply. The post is contractual initially for a period of 5 years and renewable until the age of 65 years.
The minimum salary benchmarked for the position is INR 30 lacs/annum CTC. However the final compensation is negotiable and would be commensurate with applicant’s current compensation, qualification and experience.
Forget yourself for others, and others will never forget you.