Citizens of Mumbai
HOLD HANDS IN UNITY!
Join "Human Chain" in Mumbai,
12 noon to 12.15 pm
Friday, December 12th, 2008
SAY NO TO TERROR AND WAR! SAY NO TO VIOLENCE!
We, the people of Mumbai, from all walks of life, of all faiths, all linguistic groups, all ages, will express our commitment to peace by coming out on the streets and holding hands in unity from 12 noon to 12.15 pm. on Friday the 12th of December 2008. The main route is detailed below. Besides that, people will organize human chains in other parts of the city until the far suburbs.
We, the people of Mumbai, who have seen hatred and bloodshed in our city, pledge that we will not give in to terror and to those who preach war, violence, hatred and intolerance. We undertake to keep Mumbai a city that is peaceful and united. We commit to building a world based on the principles of tolerance and peace, equality and justice.
1. Government must take responsibility and map out long-term and short-term strategies, and take action on them.
2. Accountability, better coordination amongst various security and intelligence agencies to deal with terror; and sharing of intelligence and information.
3. Joint action between India and Pakistan governments to curb religious extremism of all shades in both countries.
4. Punishment of those responsible for attacks on minorities, which is also an attack on the multi-cultural body politic of India.
5. Swift, transparent and credible trial and punishment for all those involved in terror, whatever the religion they may profess.
6. Protection of civil and human rights of people and no arrests and torture of innocents in the name of ant- terror measures.
7. A comprehensive Communal Violence Bill in place of the one pending in the Parliament.
8. Immediate implementation of police reforms, providing equipment and training, basic service conditions to police personnel and state security forces. Active facilitation of community participation in security and intelligence gathering.
9. Ensuring moderation and sensitivity in media reporting of violence whether terrorist or any other form, through self-regulation.
- Evolve a policy for legal action against hate speech and demonization of any religion or community.
MUMBAI FOR PEACE: a campaign of Mumbai based organizations.
Route for the main Human Chain
West Side Route
Nariman House, 9th Pasta Lane, Café Leopold, Shaheed Bhagat Singh Marg, BEST Marg, Taj Mahal Hotel, P.J. Ramchandani Marg, Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Marg, S.P. Mukharjee Chowk / Museum, Jehangir Art Gallery, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Hutatma Chowk, D.N. Road, Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST), MCGM, Mahapalika Marg, Cama Hospital, St. Xavier's College, Metro Junction, Lokmanya Tilak Marg, St. Xavier's School, G.T. Hospital, Mahatma Phule (Crawford Market), Mohommad Ali Road under Flyover, Sir Jamshedji Jeejeebhoy Road (J.J. Road), Richardson & Cruddas, A Patil Byculla Flyover & Slip Road, Mazgaon Police Station, Rani Baug (Veermata Jeejabai Gardens), Bharat Mata, Babasaheb Ambedkar Marg, Dadar–Pune Asiad Bus Stop, Dadar TT, Maheshwari Udyan, Laxmibai Kelkar Marg, Sion Circle, Sion Station Road, Dharavi 90 Feet Road, Sulochana Shetty Road, Mahim-Sion Link Road, Raheja Hospital Road, Mahim Causeway, Swami Vivekanand Road (S.V. Road)
East Side Route
Oberoi -Trident Hotels, Dorab Tata Road, Madam Cama Road, Jeevan Bima Marg, Jamshedji Tata Road, Marshi Karve Marg, Gol Masjid, Anandilal Podar Marg, Metro Junction, Jagannauth Shankarshett Road – Girgaon Road, Kennedy Bridge to Nana's Chowk, August Kranti Maidan – A. K. Marg, Kemp's Corner, Gopalrao Deshmukh Marg – Peddar Road, Mahalaxmi Temple – Bhulabhai Desai Road (Warden Road), Haji Ali Junction, Lala Lajpat Rai Marg (Hornby Vellard),
Annie Besant Road – Lotus, Worli Naka, G.H. Bhosale Marg – Jamboori Maidan – BDD Chawls – Mahidra Towers, Pandurang Budhkar Marg (Door Darshan), Gokhale Road (S), Gokhale Road – Shiv Sena Bhavan, Lady Jamshedji Road, A.S. Gaya Marg, Mahim Church, Mahim Causeway, Swami Vivekanand Road (S.V. Road),
Nariman House, 9th Pasta Lane, Shaheed Bhagat Singh Marg, 4th Pasta Lane, Nathalal Parikh Road, Prakash Pethe Marg, Terrorist Landing Area, Jagannath Bhosale Marg, Nariman Point Post Office Road, Free Press Road, Barister Rajni Patel Road, Jamnalal Bajaj Road, Vinayak Shah Marg (NCPA), Dorab Tata Road – Oberoi - Trident
Aapli Mumbai, Aawaaz-e-Niswan, Action Aid (Maharashtra), Action for Good Governance and Networking in India (AGNI), Akshara, Alternative Reality, Awami Bharat, Bombay Catholic Sabha, Bombay Urban Industrial League for Development (BUILD), Centre for Enquiry into Health and Allied Themes (CEHAT), Centre for Study of Society and Secularism (CSSS), Church's Auxiliary for Social Action (CASA), Citizen's Council for a Better Tomorrow (CCBT), Citizens for Peace, City Taxi Union, EKTA, Federation of Association of Maharashtra (FAM), Focus on the Global South, Girni Kamgar Sangharsh Samiti (GKSS), Holy Name Parish, India Centre for Human Rights and Law, Indian's Social Movement, Insaaniyat, Institute of Community Organization Research (ICOR), Jamat-e-Islami Hind, Justice & Peace Commission (JPC), Lok Rajniti Manch, Lourdes Church–Orlem, Mahatma Gandhi Foundation, MGM Medical College, Mahila Mukti Manch, Mumbai initiative for Human Rights education (MIHRE), Movement for Peace and Justice (MPJ), National Alliance of People's Movements (NAPM), Navdanya, Nav Maharashtra Yuva Abhiyan, Navnirman Samaj Vikas Kendra (NSVK), Nazareth Church, Nivara Hakk Suraksha Samiti (NHSS), Our Lady of Dolores Church, Pakistan-India People's Forum for Peace and Democracy (PIPFPD), People's Media Initiative (PMI), Public Concern for Governance Trust (PCGT), Roshni Graha Community Centre, Sadbhavna Sangh, Sameep Pratishthan, Sarva Sewa Sangh, St Xavier's College, Suraksha, Vidrohi Sanskrutik Chalwal, Women's Centre (Vakola), Women's Health and Rights Advocacy Partnership (WHRAP)- SOUTH ASIA, Xavier's Institute of Communication (XIC), Youth for Unity & Voluntary Action (YUVA), Young Men Christian Association (YMCA), and Others.
Contact: Dolphy D'Souza: 9820226227, Jatin Desai: 9322255812, Varsha Rajan Berry: 9820603704, Datta Iswalkar: 9224197954, Soheb Lokhandwala: 9833627173, Varsha V.V: 9869289453, Fr. Allwyn: 9820068257,Raju Bhise: 9960464430, Muhammadali Patel: 9820568641, Lena Ganesh: 9821211661
Forget yourself for others, and others will never forget you.