Job Title: WATER and SANITATION SPECIALIST (NOC Level)
Location: New Delhi
Duration of Contract: 2 years fixed terms (renewable)
Reporting to: WES Specialist (NOD Level)
United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the world’s leading organization working for the rights of children, invites applications for the following position:
Purpose of the post:
Under the general supervision of WES Specialist, New Delhi, the incumbent provides technical expertise to influence and facilitate national and state Governments policy, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in School (WASH in School) component of Government’s flagship programmes such Total Sanitation Campaign (TSC), Sarva Sikshya Abhiyan (SSA) and Accelerated Rural Water Supply Programme (ARWSP).
Incumbent of the post offers assistance to the Rajiv Gandhi National Drinking Water Mission (RGNDWM) and Department of Elementary Education and provides technical guidance and support to UNICEF WES project staff in 13 UNICEF State Offices.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
· Policy Influencing and Partnership:
Analyses existing WES and Education sector policies and policy environment, systems of management, risk allocation and coordination systems for WASH in Schools programmes relevant for children in the rural government schools. Recommends corrective actions to be taken by the respective State offices to improve efficiency and effectiveness of WASH in School programmes to ensure that the national targets will be achieved.
In collaboration with Education colleagues, convenes strategic partnerships for impacting overall children’s policies, and supports WASH in schools programmes and resources in the States
Interacts with national and international agencies and commissions on the management of school programme/projects. Participates in meetings with Ministries/Departments with a particular focus on :
(i) achieving measurable improvements in hygiene facilities and practices in Schools;
(ii) sustainability of WASH in schools interventions
(iii) cost effectiveness and
(iv) social inclusion in schools.
· Technical Assistance, Capacity Building and Knowledge Management
Provides technical advice and support to government authorities and state institutes to plan and organize capacity building programmes for WASH in school interventions. Identifies training needs for capacity building and for sustainability of programme/projects. Assists in integrating WASH in School programming, including child friendly principles as applicable to WASH, within the Right to Education framework.
Provides technical expertise as required and facilitates learning exchanges as well as policy influencing at national and state level. Assists in translating technical and social sector developments at national and state level to strategic programming in the integrated districts leading to improved environmental conditions for children in schools.
Ensure critical gaps in information, knowledge and understanding relating to school water supply and water safety, sanitation (including maintenance) and hygiene promotion in schools are recognized and addressed by stakeholders in the states. Creates interstate and inter-sectoral learning alliances; analyses, documents and shares successful practices.
· Monitoring and Evaluation
Facilitates the review of systems and capacity related to delivery of WASH in school services and the interventions to improve such systems and capacities.
Analyzes and evaluates data and/or advices for corrective actions when necessary, to meet programme/project objectives at state and national level.
Contributes to and enables the concurrent monitoring and reporting on performance indicators of Government WASH in schools flagship programme and /or UNICEF–NGO managed programmes under the Project Co-operation Agreement.
Supports/undertakes research that provides tracking the impact of interventions on social inclusion and outreach from school to community.
Support the Chief of WES to ensure the proper and timely management of the Child’s Environment Programme and the resources allocated to it, at both national level and in supported states, with specific reference to WASH in schools. At
National level ensures that outputs are monitored together with agreed inputs, and that due process is followed in regard to cash transfers, procurement and financial accountability and reporting.
Assist in identification of funding needs and preparation of funding proposals for WASH in schools programming using existing donor relationships as well as through the identification and establishment of new donors and partnerships. Assure timely good quality reporting on CE programmes to donors through quality checks and preparation of aggregated reports.
· Inter-sectoral collaboration
Coordinates with the Education Section in UNICEF Delhi and through them with the Education POs in UNICEF State Offices to enhance inter-sectoral coordination, consistency and complementarity of approaches, share policy guidelines and share successful practices.
· Work planning and Implementation of Plan of Action
Responsible for the development of a strategically well focused WASH in school component of UNICEF’s workplan, leading to improved delivery of WASH in school related government programmes and ensures compliance with assigned objectives.
Coordinates with the Operations/Supply Sections support on supply and non-supply assistance activities, ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Writes programmes/project inputs for donor proposals and status reports as required for programme management.
Assists in development of appropriate communication and information strategy to support and/or advocate programme development.
Essential Qualifications, Experience and competencies required;
· 5 years progressively responsible professional work experience in social development, including sanitation and hygiene education in schools, community-managed monitoring and evaluation and a demonstrated ability to support the scaling up of projects in the government sector.
· University Degree in Social and allied Sciences, Public Health, Health Management, Development Economics, School Health Administration.
· In depth and current understanding and knowledge of the water, sanitation and education sector
· Familiarity with public administration systems that affect delivery of results for children
· Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
· Fluency in English, Hindi in speaking, reading and writing essential. Knowledge of other main Indian languages an asset.
· Drive for results.
· Strong analytical skills and computational skills; high level of negotiating, communication and advocacy skills are also expected
· Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, as well as to impart knowledge and teach skills.
· Understanding of social mobilization
· Knowledge of computer management and applications, with command over latest tools, techniques and software.
· Understanding of gender concerns and social inclusion.
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
Interested candidates can send in their CVs and a cover letter to email@example.com or Contact us at: +91 22 6660 3558/6660 3559. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged.
Last date for receiving applications is 4th March 2010.
Forget yourself for others, and others will never forget you.